Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

December 12, 2006

Oh Crap!

I just had one of "those" moments. I had worked on an Alert (a small, directed document that we send out with all our builds to ensure clients are aware of specific changes to the application or of special notices about the build we think they need to know). Took me about an hour or an hour and a half to do the Alert, as it included tables and some key formatting, etc.

Realized that I had created two folders on the network drive on which we work. So I said to myself, "I better delete that other folder right now while I'm thinking about it or else I'll forget and confuse myself later."

I then promptly clicked on the folder, clicked Delete, and clicked Yes to the warning message without thinking. I renamed the remaining folder, then opened it to finish what I was doing-- and was staring at an empty folder.

Yes, you guessed it-- I deleted the folder I had worked on for over an hour.

Just contacted IT and they don't have any way of recovering that folder for me, as I created it, worked on it, and deleted it all today. Our backups only run overnight.

I did offer them a suggestion: I asked the current IT guy to pass on this thought-- is there a way to set up our systems so that, when deleting a network file or folder, the deletion goes into our own (laptop or PC) Recycle Bin. In this way, when other people have the same bone-headed moment I just experienced, we would have a way to recover from it. The IT guy noted that when we ran Novell servers, we had basically that set up, but since moving to Windows he is unaware of anything like that. He said he would forward the idea to the right IT people and see.

So, now, I am going to go grab some lunch and then come back and recreate everything I just lost. Yay. I love doing work multiple times.


*sigh

No comments:

Post a Comment