Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

December 22, 2006

Back in SJ (Xmas Tour '06)

I made it here safely and soundly. Actually, the two flights here were two of the better ones; fairly smooth and boring, which is good.

However, I always have a tale to tell and this is no exception:

- My Super Shuttle driver arrived a bit early. Rather than being the last person on the van, I was the first person. The driver was wearing the thickest, most cloying, and strongly applied cologne you can imagine! It took almost an hour to go the 6-7 miles up the 5 freeway to Disneyland (around which we were picking up the other 6 passengers at various hotels) and by that time my eyes were watering, I had a headache, and my stomach was a bit upset. I guess my Scents & Sensibilities article was a premonition, eh?

- Same driver decided the 5 freeway was too crowded (although we would be getting over to the carpool lane) so he took the 91 freeway route to get to LAX. Just as crowded. So, the typically hour-long trek from my apartment to LAX wound up taking almost 2.5 hours due to traffic and the additional pick-ups.

Still, I was there by about 7:20pm, well in advance of the 10 pm boarding and 10:30 flight time of my plane.

- As I had performed web check-in and already had my boarding passes, I went straight to security. Got through that pretty easily, even though the idiot in front of me tried to "sneak" two gallons of wine and mineral water through security. He made enough of a scene over it that the security guys took him, his three "personal items" (yes, you are only allowed 2 these days), and a very large guy in a uniform to the "back room" to "discuss" it further. Can you say body-cavity search? I knew you could.

- My gate out was immediately beyond the security area, but the glass enclosure was locked shut. At about 8:30pm they opened the door and propped it on the door-stop. So, me and another gentleman waiting for that flight entered. We were promptly told we could not enter. We asked why. We were told they were not ready for us-- even though the area only had 5 total people in it, 3 Air Canada workers and the two of us! We asked why they opened the doors then, if they were not ready. At this point we were helped out and they closed and re-locked the door behind us. Did not re-open the door until about 10 pm, and only then because a bunch of people were deplaning from the arriving plane!

- Made it to Toronto just fine, although the gentleman next to me on the plane replied with "Shut up" when I asked a simple, introductory question. Now, I am not the talkative type, but I do try to be personable to my immediate neighbors on a plane. Didn't really expect the comment I received.

- Customs in Toronto was easy-- I pretty much walked up to the agent the moment I got there and was through in about a minute. One nice thing about the red-eye, I am usually one of the first planes to arrive at the airport due to their noise reduction policy.

- After changing terminals and finding my gate on the board, I went to the proper gate. The person running the gate, however, had to deal with about 50 of us asking if we were in the right area because she refused to update the board from the previous flight. If she had just updated it, she would not have become irritated by all of us asking if our flight had changed gates. However, she apparently wanted to be in a bad mood, so she told each of us in turn, "I am working the gate from the previous flight. I do not know what the next flight will be. Please wait for the next desk operator and they will update everything for you." She then left in a huff. Whatever!

- Toronto to SJ plane was fine. Had a jet this time, which surprised me. Sat next to a pleasant woman named Leslie who is a Professor of Computer Engineering in Vancouver at a college/university. She made it very clear that she was NOT a teacher as "they have lecturers who do THAT sort of thing." Being as she is in the same age range as M and her friends, and went to high school at SJ High School, it is likely that M or a friend may know this woman. Of course, that is not unusual, as it appears everyone here knows everyone else. For having 130,000 people, SJ is fairly close-nit community with a small-town feel.

- M took me home from the airport and I actually took a nap. Then had a very long, comfy sleep over night. However, I was STARTLED awake by the alarm going off at 7:30 (or whatever) time this morning. Even with all the rest, it still felt more like 4:30 am to me. But I am much more coherent than I was last time.

- No snow since I got here, which I find strangely disappointing. However, it has been between -5 and 0 degrees celsius (23 to 32 F), so it is plenty cold enough. Not at all used to the air I breathe actually hurting my lungs. Just not used to this kind of cold. But I have my toque with me at all times, so my head is warm otherwise. Very important.

Anyway, being here, with my loved one, reminds me just how much I miss and need this woman in my life. And being at house where I am allowed, and even encouraged, to make fire is even better still! But I am trying to keep it more sane this time; doesn't need to be 90 F in the house. ;-)

I have wrapped M's main gifts and put them under the tree, but need a box for one other gift. Of course, she has been using the other "Xmas" gift I got her-- my old TiVo-- for a few weeks now. That's the gift that really keeps on giving!! Once you go TiVo, you never want to go back to "regular" TV again!

With the frown that M gave me today at the tie I brought with me, I may need to go do a little tie-shopping one of these days. I think I'd like to get a pair of black colored jeans, as well. Maybe the official SJ "Personal Shopper" would have some time? (hint, hint)

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good trip! Sorry that I still won't get a chance to meet you. Sigh... Sadly yet again I have to say maybe next time.

    I think your Leslie travel pal actually graduated with me. If it's the person I'm thinking of I can absolutely hear the snootiness in her voice saying something like that! She was like that then and I'm pretty sure always will be. Sweet person, but a tad snooty. lol

    Enjoy your visit! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The SJ personal shopper has lots of time for you this holiday season. I'm ready to shop when you are :)
    See you later tonight at the party!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i know lesley.

    ReplyDelete