Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

March 31, 2005

Thursday Thoughts

I'm not the best eater in the world. I'm one of those scary people who forgets to eat, will just stop eating because he's tired of doing it, and who will ignore his hunger until it goes away. It's not that I dislike food, it's just that the act of eating isn't a priority. I rarely "must-have" a food or am "feeling like" eating a particular flavor.

My refrigerator is a barren wasteland. There is little in the way of "real food" in there, and even the copious amounts of beverages that I normally stock are woefully inadequate at the moment. My cupboards are equally bare; I've got some dried pasta and a bunch of condiments, but not much more.

When you are one person, buying and storing food seems like a big hassle. Cheese and meats frequently go bad not because I don't want them, but because I can only eat so much over so long a period of time before they spoil. I have bought loaves of bread (the smallest ones I can find on the shelf) and wound up throwing more than half of it away-- once it's opened for that first PBJ, the damn clock is ticking.

Even bottled, canned, and dried foodstuff has gone bad on me before.

And I hate food shopping. The stores don't cater to people like me, they cater to mom's with big families and who need quick solutions on the go, go, go!

Actually, my local Albertson's used to have a section just for me-- I called it the single-guy's gourmet. Out of the 2000 or so square feet in this store, there was a little spot on the end of one of the floor refrigerators filled with pre-made meals that the store wanted to quickly sell through. So they packaged two breasts and some bread, or corn and fish, steak and rice, or some other combo in small, not more than two person-sized meals, with the spices and trimmings included, for cheap. Basically, just the right amount of meal, with just the right amount of effort needed to finish it.

I did much of my shopping there. I could get a steak, chicken, pork, and fish meal, enough for two servings each, usually, for relatively low prices. And all that was needed on my end was to fire up the grill or put it in the oven. Usually 20 minutes later I'm eating something good with little effort.

I sometimes feel like, if I could just get someone to come into my apartment, review my eating habits and dietary needs, and then go shopping and stock me up with everything I'm missing, I could then maintain it from that point. But I have no desire to make the initial effort. I actually don't mind cooking, and sometimes really enjoy it, but I just don't want to make the effort most days. Again, when you're cooking for one, why bother?

And now I'm heading back to the apartment, knowing that the cheese is close to going bad, that my loaf of bread is likely already on it's way to penicillin, and that any milk I do have is not something I want to reopen. Here's wishing someone develops The Jetson's full-course meal pills soon!

1 comment:

  1. I agree. "Cooking for one" is a particularly difficult issue. I think I have had potatoes in the drawer of the fridge since late 2004. And yet the chip dip and popcorn have high turnover (though not together, that would be wrong).

    I did find though that by cooking a larger meal and eating half of it meant I automatically have a lunch to take to work the next day. Providing I remember to grab it out of the fridge.

    Bread is hard. I just usually freeze half of it. I only use milk in cooking/baking, I don't drink it, so I buy 500mL sizes (a little less than a pint? sorry, imperial measurements confuse the heck out of me, I learned everything in metric). That size usually has an expiry date that is ahead of the larger milk containers.

    Loved your rant on Taco Bell by the way. I will boycott! Of course, it helps that I don't like Taco Bell and I am on the opposite side of the continent from California. It's the thought that counts!

    You may have just discovered the reason why people are together long after they should have broken up - at least they can cook for each other.

    I actually really enjoy the trips to the grocery store. Maybe partly because they're usually playing 80s music when I go in there (maybe they know I'm coming?) It's fun to find new products. I also bake so I have that stuff to pick up as well in addition to normal food. Maybe you just need to find the right store. There's also that whole women loving shopping thing.

    Thanks for your comment today, I didn't realize you were still reading :) I am replying on mine as well.

    ReplyDelete