Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

December 30, 2010

Pain Revisited

After my bout with the migraine, my back continued to hurt to the point where I could barely walk, as every movement and step with my right leg gave me screaming pain, enough so to bring literal tears to my eyes. I emailed a friend with whom I had planned to go to the movies yesterday and canceled. Yesterday, Wednesday, I called my MIL, who is a nurse, and asked her advice about going to my GP or the ER and simply what she thought I should do about the pain/discomfort.

With the time of year, and with the poor medical system in this town, she recommended that my GP was most likely out of town/away and that I would sit for literally hours in the ER without being seen-- which wouldn't help my back and would probably make me sicker, what with all the ill people that would be there (their doctors being out of town too). She recommended taking some Midol/Aleve, keeping the heating pad on it, and taking a hot bath or shower as soon as my wife got home (so, if I couldn't get out of the tub, someone was here to take command and/or get help).

I asked my wife to come home at lunch and work from home the rest of the day, which she was happy to do. I then took the Aleve before she got home and went and took a piping hot bath soon after she got home. By the end of the bath, I was much more mobile, although still with pain. The pain was down to manageable levels and I was able to walk much more assuredly on my right leg.

Today, my coccyx area and the spot of the pain are both still sore. I'm having some issues with bending and twisting, but it is not the 'gasp out loud and double over or fall to my knees' level of pain. I can sit at my desk without undue discomfort. And I haven't needed to take more Aleve this morning. Hopefully I've knocked through/past the pain and can get fully better from here. It is good to know that the Aleve and hot baths will help alleviate the issue if it does come creeping back.

No comments:

Post a Comment