Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

September 1, 2010

Weighty Issues

When I saw "205" on the scale, I knew it was time to be more active about weight management. For my height, that was simply too much. While it is true I have mitigating circumstances that help me to gain and keep on the weight, that number had steadily increased over the last three years in particular to an out of control amount.

It's funny, because except for the belly, I don't look like I'm carrying that much weight. The rest of me is normal sized in nearly every way. I just have this suddenly large, round belly on top of it.

Since many forms of exercise are out of the question due to the arthritis I have throughout my body, especially anything that is too harsh on the hands or feet, dietary changes were where I decided to start first. To that end, I have been trying to eat healthier, having snacks of oranges and other fruits instead of chips, ice cream, or chocolate. I've been eating more salads with dinners and as entire meals. Limiting pasta and other carb intake in favor of fiber and protein. Have cut way back on my soda intake. Have been trying to cut back on my chocolate milk habit.

The end result is that this morning the scale reads 191. 14 lbs in, basically, one month isn't too bad; average of about 3.5 lbs per week, which is better than most weight loss programs can claim (most of those average 2 lbs/week). My short-term goal right now is to reach and maintain 185. My long-term goal is to reach 170.

The good news is that I'm feeling some effects from the weight loss already. I walked up to the mailbox today and, while my calves got really tight, I wasn't nearly as out-of-breath as I was the last time I did it (when I was 200+). And losing the weight should help my plantar fasciitis in my right foot, as less weight means less stress on that tendon.

Hopefully soon I will be able enough to do more regular and systematic exercising, which should help the process when the dietary changes slow down. The best thing for me would be swimming, but I really don't like the water or swimming at all, so I am not sure I can overcome that to try it. Plus, I'd have to go somewhere and likely pay something to have the privilege of swimming, which makes it less likely I'll do it. I've tried riding my bike, but I'm so heavy and out of shape that all the hills surrounding my home make that choice awkward. I'm going to focus on the tread mill and push ups and sit ups to start, and maybe some light weights, to start and see where it goes from there. Maybe I'll even join my wife on her work regimen... she could likely use the company and I can definitely use the exercise.

Now to focus on the next 6 lbs and get that gone.

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear. Exercise motivation is difficult. I thought I'd lose some weight when I started cycling to work but I guess my eating habits are too bad to overcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Aquatic Centre has some free swim times, I think. And if you have a flexible schedule, their Early Bird membership is quite reasonable (360/year).

    Grats on losing some weight though. I need to do the same.

    ReplyDelete