Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

September 28, 2010

Random Thoughts

1. California sent me an absentee ballot for the upcoming November election. They sent me a full ballot, however. Reading carefully, and then going to some overseas voter information websites, it appears that if I use this ballot, even to only vote for the two federal election areas (Senator and Representative), California can claim I am a resident and tax me next tax season, even though I live out of the country. Pretty tricky, says I.

Following up on that, I found the FVAP (Federal Voter Assistance Program) which helps overseas military and nonmilitary personal to vote. When I filled out everything correctly, the ballot I got ONLY had the two Federal selections on it, as I should have received in the first place. So I'll be faxing that in as my vote, which should help me avoid any taxation issue.

2. Looks like my current contract is winding down earlier than expected. I was too fast in doing some of the work (I could have been faster, actually, but didn't get all the training I needed until a month into the work), and other parts of the job were canceled by the requesting employer (I am working for a company that does work outsourced by other companies). I expect to finish next week, instead of working through the end of October.

There are some benefits to this, as we have some tasks around the house that have been neglected with both of us working full time. I may also have a new contract lined up which will start sometime in November. And the current company knows me now (I've worked for them twice) and will keep me on file.

3. I was sick all last week. Sore throat turned into painful swallowing and an area under my jaw but well away from my tonsils that was very painful. Hot and cold flashes. Alternated between not being able to sleep hardly at all and sleeping for 12 hours and napping during the day. Coughing. Headaches.

4. If you get migraines, you know what I'm talking about when I say that you get light sensitivity and sometimes flashing/strobing effects. Well, on top of those, I often also get a rainbow-colored squiggly visual effect in my eyes which, when added to the strobe effect and light sensitivity can make me nauseated on top of the pain in my head. Well, last night for about an hour or so, I got the rainbow-colored effect and slight light sensitivity without the migraine. It makes me wonder (and worry a little bit) as to what caused it. Very odd.

5. Canadian politics makes American politics look simple. Their version of a democracy doesn't involve direct representation and having a direct voice in the Federal government the way America's does. It has its pros, but it certain has its cons, too, from what I see. I'm kind of glad I don't get to vote here; I don't want to spend the time figuring out how it all works and then voting. If American's feel like their voices aren't heard, you should listen to Canadians complain about it!!

6. I was really getting into the groove of personal writing again, hitting my blog regularly, writing on two story ideas, putting down ideas for a renewal of my DnD game, creating and working on an MnM game. Then I got this current contract and my person writing has come to a near halt while I write professionally. One problem with doing something you love professionally is that you don't as often want to do the exact same thing personally (sometimes you do, and I haven't turned off completely).

7. The weight loss continues. I'm seeing numbers that begin with "18" now. My current goal is 185 and to hold that weight. Once I get down to that and can hold there, I will shoot for 180. I'm simply taking it slow, making sure I leave the table without being full, eating more fruits and vegetables, and eating more fiber, and trying to eat more regularly and smaller portions. My face already looks a bit leaner. Once I hit 185, I'm going to try to start putting more exercise into the mix as well. My feet are feeling better and my plantar fasciitis isn't bothering me as often, unless I stand or walk for longer periods. So at 185 I think I can start walking on the treadmill and doing some minor weight lifting and similar to rearrange the weight I do have. And to firm up the tummy. ;-)

8. Been having a lot of seriously odd dreams lately. One involving raccoons. One involving a strange school with very odd people and courses. Another involving strange careers. A few involving Dresden or Dresden-like situations, but I expected those as I've re-read the entire series over the last month (and am on the final book now).

No comments:

Post a Comment