Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

March 30, 2009

The Road Back... To Work

It looks like I will be starting my first Canadian job tomorrow. Coast Tire has offered a three-month contract position for me to help them write a bunch of how-to sheets, update and proof their existing manuals, and help with some other items, as needed (like possibly their website).

I'm sure it will be good work and, as a contractor and working hourly, I'll have the flexibility to work from home and work odd hours if needed (I do have some medical appointments coming up and may need to interview for a full-time position if some irons heat up in the fire, etc.).

It will likely be awkward working with my wife, however. There is a certain separation between your work life and your personal life that most people desire, and having your spouse intrude into one can be difficult. I'm hopeful it won't be an issue as I won't be right with her, will work with other people on their documentation needs, and won't press too hard. Plus, it is a part-time job; I'll be there only as long as they need me and have work for me to do.

One awkward issue is the fact we will both report to the same manager. I did ask the company to check to see if Canada has a similar law to US about not allowing married or related people to report to the same manager (or to one another, if one is a manager). The company does not believe so, but is double-checking just in case.

So, tomorrow I have to get up, get dressed, and head into work with my wife. As I was released from employment at my previous company at the end of May, it winds up being nearly a year since I last formally worked. It will be exciting and interesting to get back into the swing of things.

- - -

PS - As a reward, I bought a 22" LCD monitor that was on a ridiculous sale. I've used my current 17" monitor for... about 7 years (maybe longer). Since I love playing games, bigger is definitely better. Plus, my video card has the DVI input and this new monitor has DVI output, so I should have the best, clearest, fastest possible (my current monitor is a standard VGA).

3 comments:

  1. I'm don't think the rule about spouses working together is a law. My company is strangely sensitive to the subject, but the same thing can be said about a lot of subjects.

    I do know other married couples that work together under the same manager at other companies like American Express.

    After a few years of working "together" I am of the opinion that it doesn't matter. You're going to be professional either way and that's what people really care about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and good luck as you reorient to the workplace. I've wondered whether you've looked at either contract work or freelancing via the internet, but don't want to be a snoopy MIL. Hope this leads to other possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Van & I worked together for a few years. There is not a formal law against spouses working together here that I am aware of. It's not always welcomed by businesses and there may even be a rule against it within a company, but it would be an individual company's choice, not a law.

    I will say that working with your spouse presents many pros and many cons.

    At least you aren't having to report to your wife. Van had to report directly to me!

    One last thought...try to make a "safe room" in your house where no "shop talk" can be had. Otherwise, talking about work will permeate all aspects of your life without you even being aware of it. :)

    ReplyDelete