Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

March 11, 2009

De Pain!

Well over a week ago (probably closer to two weeks, now), I did something to cause my lower back to give me pain. Now, due to RA, I'm in pain a lot-- but usually low throbbing/swelling pain that I can handle, but which affects my desire to do certain activities. This was sharp, acute pain that became "gasp-worthy" if I leaned forward at about a 10% angle or more and jars me badly as I go up and down the stairs to the basement.

Since then, I have taken long, hot showers and baths. I have used a heating pad. I have alternated hot and cold. I have upped my prednisone intake and tried supplementing with Advil. Nothing has really helped it.

Yesterday, the pain was at manageable levels for the first time in a while. By the end of the day, it seemed like it was improving and the kink or whatever it was would be gone soon. I took another very hot bath in the mid-afternoon, and that also seemed to help relax things and bring the pain under control.

However, last night, wife and I watched some TV together, and the position I was in seemed to exacerbate the problem and now, today, my back hurts as much as it did when I first discovered the problem.

While my tailbone area is sore, too, the problem is not the spine-- there is a spot just to the right of the spine where the muscles feel hard as rocks and it hurts to press against those muscles. When I bend my back the least bit, this area sends spasms and lances of pain out from that region into my buttocks, back, and sides. The pain is enough that I tend to groan or gasp each time. I woke up every single time I moved last night while attempting to sleep-- the pain of moving was enough to wake me from a sound sleep.

Not sure what I can do about it. We have things that need to be done and nothing I do seems to help the pain. I'm obviously going to avoid that position on the couch for awhile and continue to use meds and/or heat and cold to alleviate the discomfort. Beyond that, nothing really helped for the last over a week, so I don't expect anything to really help me now.

3 comments:

  1. Please make sure it's not a kidney infection, which can mimic severe back pain and do a lot of damage if it isn't treated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's the beginnings of sciatica it's best to get it checked as well. Just several weeks untreated can begin the nasty road to some permanent damage.

    I agree with your Mom though. Check into your kidneys. Also, perhaps check your appendix because it can masquerade as severe back pain as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I said in my post, I can pinpoint the exact muscles that are causing me this discomfort. It is not my kidney and it is not my sciatic nerve. I could actually touch the muscles and feel them spasming-- definitely the problem.

    I'm doing better today-- I took two Advil and my usual prednisone together last night before going to bed early. While I didn't have the most restful sleep, today I'm moving around much better and the pain is back into the manageable range.

    I took one more Advil and my morning prednisone this morning and hope that will help resolve the issue completely.

    I'm also going to stay away from that one position on the couch for a good while.

    ReplyDelete