Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

February 18, 2009

Too Trusting

It's a good thing I try hard not to be Evil. Since moving to Canada I have seen a variety of ways in which Canada does things that just wouldn't fly where I'm from.

For example, my doctor called in a prescription to the Meditrust down the road. Jennifer from the pharmacy called to confirm some things, as I was not in their system yet. When she got to the "Do you have prescription insurance" I answered affirmatively and she responded with, "Is it under Melissa's name?" and I again said yes.

When I just now stopped by the pharmacy to pick up the meds, the woman ringing me out did not even ask to confirm who I was with a photo ID or the pharmacy insurance card.

Now, let's say I was Melissa's ex-husband and we had a very bitter divorce. I would now be getting drugs on her account at a great reduction of cost.

While I agree with my Canadian friends and family that Canada is a nicer place to live in regards to how people generally treat one another, I think there is nice and then doing things that could hurt your business. The pharmacy really SHOULD check a photo ID and/or ask for the pharmacy card before selling a person medications. Yes, it slows down the check out process slightly, but they lower their chances of being sued, being ripped off, and over medicating someone who is playing the system. Just makes good business sense, to me.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:49 AM

    I'd guess that the owner of that establishment would agree with you. But perhaps the people he/she hired to run shop are just too lazy/disinterested to care. I see that sort of thing plenty here in the states, granted, not when purchasing prescription medication. That said, I think part of the moral of the story likely is, it's just hard to get good help these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each time I present my debit card for a purchase, I ask the clerk if (s)he is going to ask to see photo ID. "Uh, it's okay" is the usual response.

    What is okay: that I have presented a card that may or may not be MY card? That you don't want to take the time to verify that I at least seem to be the person whose name is on the card? That you don't care if my identity is stolen by someone who shares your work ethic? That it's okay for the merchant to take it in the shorts if I'm using a stolen card?

    What, exactly, is okay about not verifying the person standing in front of you is the person it says on the card?

    Do your job or find another position that requires your very limited skill set!

    ReplyDelete