Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

February 15, 2009

Mmmm... yuck?

I have often been noted as saying that everything tastes better with either chocolate or Italian dressing. Well, I have found at least one thing about which that statement is wrong.

While out doing some shopping on Valentines, my wife and I went by the Laura Secord shop. We stopped to get some chocolates, because we both were craving a little. And wife had an old card with some credit still on it.

I noted both milk and dark chocolate ginger treats. My mind immediately did a "what the fuck?" when it thought of ginger and chocolate together. My hesitancy prompted some questions to the assistant manager (who claimed she didn't like chocolate-- which makes me less likely to buy from them in the future) and she provided me with a sample.

One small bite of the gooey ginger center and the dark chocolate coating was enough to turn me off of this "treat" forever. I like ginger in many asian foods. I love chocolate. The two together were a horrible assault on my senses! The ginger was spicy, and the flavor kept rising and gaining in strength. The dark chocolate was sweet and subtle, and totally lost in the ginger.

As most know, I like almost anything in chocolate except coconut, nuts (except peanuts), and marzipan. I love fruit filled chocolates, which a lot of people don't care for. But this ginger infused jelly was almost enough to put me off chocolates for a good while! I was, and I mean this literally (wife can verify) still tasting it LONG after the treat was done, and we had moved on to eating other things. The way the ginger reacted, I was starting to think I might have an allergy to it (I know I don't because, again, I have enjoyed ginger in other things). My first reaction was that it tasted like really strong mint toothpaste and chocolate. NOT a good combination.

My guess is that you would have to really, really like ginger to find these treats to be tasty in the least. And, even then, I'm not so sure. Ugh.

3 comments:

  1. Two chocolate treats I know you like are the orange sticks and the raspberry sticks that are usually on the top shelf at the grocery store, in the candy aisle.

    How do I know you like these treats? You used to eat a boxful all by yourself!

    My advice: stick with what you know. Ginger and chocolate totally sounds nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:55 PM

    So apparently it tastes just as disgusting as it sounds. Thanks for the warning (not that I EVER would have tried it anyway)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's actually an acquired taste and will grow on you over time. I do prefer the milk chocolate ones to the dark ones. :)

    ReplyDelete