Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

February 13, 2009

A Little Rest

One of my favorite shows is South Park. I now own many seasons (but not all) of the show, and I look forward to new episodes on Comedy Central.

Lately I have undergone watching each of the seasons I have in order. What I have found is that I can make it through two, sometimes three, before falling asleep. I have fallen asleep while watching South Park the last four times I have attempted to watch it!

M and I have joked that maybe this is the cure to my frequent insomnia. Head out to the couch, put on some South Park, and fall gently asleep until the morning (or the DVD ends). I have yet to try it with any seriousness, but it seems like a solution in the offing.

Awhile back, when I first got the original Godzilla, I had the same problem. Every time I put it on I didn't make it more than 10 or 15 minutes into it before falling asleep. It took me three weeks to finish the film. Again, a case of something I enjoyed yet couldn't stay awake for.

Luckily, M has her own Achilles' heel-- Law and Order. She enjoys that show quite a bit, yet gets sleep and often falls asleep while watching it.

What is it about these types of situations that causes a stupor? It seems odd to fall asleep during a favorite show or movie. Could it be familiarity? The known is so reassuring that we feel okay in drifting off while watching it? Whatever it is, I'm seriously considering using this the next time it hits 2am and I haven't fallen asleep yet; I'll pop on some South Park and drift off to sleep. I'll let you know if it works.

1 comment:

  1. Your comment about the familiarity of the program providing comfort reminds me of a favorite blankie: just having it there allows the blankie's owner to relax and fall asleep. There's a connection between what's not known (the night) and the known (the favorite item, such as the film), that relaxes the person, allowing him/her to fall asleep. Whatever it takes, right?

    ReplyDelete