Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

May 9, 2007

Sometimes It Works

I decided today to get a new combined cable modem/router. I saw a few when my mother was down shopping for similar and thought it might help with a few issues I've been having with my network setup.

Surprisingly enough, the hardest part was finding the damn modem! I bought the wrong thing at the first store, returned it, and they didn't have the one I wanted for an exchange. So I went online when I got home and figured I would just look at prices and get one when I got back from SJ.

Low and behold, my Best Buy across the street showed it available and in stock. Better yet, they have the In-store Pickup feature. I ordered it, paid for it, and just had to stop by and pick it up.

Got home, plugged everything in, called Cox Communications and spoke with Kevin about the MAC address, etc. and got it all set up.

Then I struggled a bit to figure out from the manual how to set up my wireless protection. Boy, could that use some better technical writing! Finally figured out how to set it up for a modem that doesn't come with the "one touch" setup feature, and have a new password securing the wi-fi from prying eyes.

On a side note, I got a new, much faster laptop for my work PC and I needed to test it by connecting from home. I am currently using it wirelessly to write this blog, proving that a) my new work laptop can connect from home with no issues and b) that my wireless works and the password is in place.

Lastly, I checked to make sure my TiVo can connect using the new modem/router, and it does.

I think I'm all set.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice for you to confirm my experience since buying the new router: my machine is much faster and my hook-ups more reliable! I'm glad I invested the time, effort, and energy to upgrade as all the glitches were getting to me ...

    now, if I can only get the laptop to dance :)

    ReplyDelete