Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

February 20, 2007

Side Effects

I decided on Monday to spray some orange all-purpose cleaner and degreaser on my grill, as I had not cleaned it in a long time and you could barely tell that there was a window in the front, let alone see any of the instructions or temperature settings on the panel with the gas nobs. With the intention of coming back after 10 minutes or so to wipe off the grill, I sprayed the orange cleaner all over the outside, then on the appropriate places on the inside, and then on the gas tank.

However, I never made it back to wipe it down.

As I sprayed the cleaner, I felt something odd. When I looked down, places on my hand had split open where the somewhat leaky spray bottle was dripping cleaner. I had a large patch of dry skin everywhere where they cleaner had touched my flesh. I was even bleeding at a couple of the cracks. My hand burned a bit and it felt generally uncomfortable.

I had used this particular cleaner quite a few times in the past. I liked it for both its strength and the citrus orange scent. I couldn't remember it ever wounding me in this manner before, so I was a bit surprised that it would hinder me now.

I went into the kitchen and thoroughly washed my hand clean of the cleaning solution and dried it completely on a new, unused towel. While the slight burning sensation went away after washing, the dry patch and the cracking of my flesh was still apparent, so I got some lotion and rubbed that onto my hand. It took about an hour after applying the lotion for the hand to start feeling normal, at which time I re-washed it and re-applied lotion to the area.

Today, it looks fine. While there are two small spots where blood dried and formed a clot (very, very small, but I mention them for completeness), the rest of the area no longer looks dry, chapped, or cracked open.

Not sure what happened between the last time I used that cleaner and this weekend, but I think my opinion of it has changed a bit. I am considering dumping the rest down the drain and finding a new all-purpose cleaner to use. I probably should give it one more chance and see if something similar happens; that reaction could have been relating to something outside of the cleaner and may be only a one-time occurrence.

However, I forgot to go out and wipe down the grill, so it is likely just as dirty looking as before. Especially as it was covered in what I am sure was slightly-sticky cleaner and a small breeze was blowing.

1 comment: