Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

August 21, 2006

Things Are Tough

First
Currently, my fiance is going through a really tough time. It frustrates me a that I cannot help her through this time; by making dinner, by driving her, by getting the little things done around the house, by helping at the hospital, by just being there. I would happily help her mom, talk with doctors, make the necessary phone calls to people, discuss with Laura, etc.

Instead I sit here and try to be as supportive as I can from over 3500 miles away. Hopefully some of the plans we are working on will come to fruition soon, so I can be there.

All I can really do right now is tell her that I love her and hope that is enough.

Second
My cat appears to have another UTI. All the classic symptoms are there. So I took her to the veterinarian yesterday, a new one that is right down the street from me. This vet and I hit it off better than the last one. She agreed with my assessment of the cat and gave her a shot to help. She gave me some pills to give to Calypso for the next 10 days, twice a day.

This morning I was able to give her the pill without difficulty. I've gotten pretty good at giving cats pills after Chris's pet, Sam, had health issues and needed a lot of pills, force-feeding, and other ministrations.

This afternoon, however, when I gave Caly her pill she choked a bit. Held it down and seemed fine afterward, but it was obviously more painful or discomforting to her this time. About 10 minutes later she came out of the kitchen after having eaten, and suddenly started meowing and almost growling. Now, my cat doesn't make a lot of noise and usually only meows at all when she's being rubbed, so this caught my attention.

She suddenly vomited everything she just ate (did not see the pill in it, so that was a good sign). After throwing up, she seemed suddenly listless. She was sort of panting, only her mouth was closed, and her heart beat was really fast. She seemed scared and continued the growling-like sound whenever she could.

Soon she walked, staggered really, into my bedroom and then collapsed down again. The strange panting and growling continued for a good 20 minutes or so. She let me touch her feet, her stomach, and even her tail without even lifting her head-- so I know something was wrong. She does not like her feet, stomach, or tail touched, normally.

After about an hour, she seemed to slowly get better. She has moved again, and her eyes look more lively. But now I'm concerned about her pill in the morning. Maybe this was some sort of allergic reaction? Maybe the pill and her food react somehow (since this started after she ate)? My next step is to call the vet back and see if they want me to do anything.

1 comment:

  1. When older cats get UTI's, it can be very stressful on their bodies and often leads to death.

    Caly's reaction does sound like it's to the pill--maybe it "went down the wrong way"--so I wouldn't give her another one without seeing the dr. first.

    I'm sorry to hear about all of M's family illnesses. That is such a difficult time to make it through, with just putting your feet on the floor and preparing for whatever comes next. Please tell her my thoughts and my prayers are with her--but I know you being with her would be better than anything else anyone else could possibly say or do.

    ReplyDelete