Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

July 7, 2006

Progress

So far I have managed to do many, but not all, of the chores on my Honey Do list. As today is the first day waking up without fog, I can get a good start on the painting and, hopefully, make a lot of progress on that task. It looks like I won't get to the deck this trip.

The porch wouldn't be taking so long except for all the spindles on the railing. They are placed very close together, are hard to paint into, and I have to be sitting down to reach them, which is an awkward position for me. I imagine the floor of the porch will seem like a breeze once I get to it!

I also discovered that I am horrible at hanging doors. I used a level and took my time but the door I hanged did not jibe with the lintle into which I was putting it. And then the next day the door didn't close so well (as though the house shifted slightly-- or like my door settled somehow). *sigh

M's dad is coming by to drop off a weed whacker for those areas we couldn't mow. Hopefully he'll have some time to offer suggestions on the door as well. He's an incredibly capable person-- he should be able to point out what I did wrong and offer suggestions to fix/improve it.

Anyway, enough stalling-- time to get out there and start painting. If you are in Canada, in this area, and have some free time and enjoy painting, feel free to stop by! :-D

2 comments:

  1. My sources tell me that hanging a door correctly is one of the most challenging construction tasks, so you may find yourself starting over.

    What is recommended is a door already hung in a frame--that is then nailed to the door opening. I'm not sure what they guy at the lumber yard called it, but he was adamant that is the only way to go.

    Good luck! You know I'd love to come paint with you, but that's a "fur piece" to come to paint a porch.

    Maybe some day I will visit St. John and be able to appreciate the fruits of your labor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *embarrassed look

    This IS a pre-hung door. Even that is not as easy as it looks.

    *sigh

    ReplyDelete