Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

January 22, 2013

Firearm Fiasco

I realize I'm in a unique circumstance. However, I have tried to provide clear, direct, accurate information each step of the way while trying to legally get my firearms, which I left with my father when I moved here, to somewhere close by in the United States where I can go, pick them up, and legally cross into Canada with them.

First I had to go through the process of getting the proper licenses in Canada. That took some time and effort, but I am now licensed for both types of weapons (nonrestricted and restricted) that I own. I can now take possession of my firearms.

Next, I contacted the ATF -- the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and FIREARMS -- thinking they could help me by providing information. They did not know their ass from a hole in the ground. Matter of fact, the person I was in contact with did not know you could send firearms via the US Postal Service from person to person! So that wound up being a dead end, but took months of back and forth emails and phone conversations to resolve.

I contacted the USPS to find out what the restrictions and rules are for shipping firearms. They sent me to my local USPS shipping regulations line, who sent me a link that had the data. Basically, my rifles and shotguns are fine to ship, with some very specific regulations. But my handguns cannot be shipped person-to-person via the post office. The PO worker I spoke with said that federal authorities are allowed to ship weapons between offices and that many police departments will provide that service for individuals.

So, I tried the local police department. I explained my situation, explained the post office's suggestion, and asked the officer I was speaking with if they would help me with this. He laughed. He actually laughed. Then he said, "No, that's not something we would do." However, he suggested that a local shipping destination, True Value Hardware, has an FFL (Federal Firearms License) which can be used to ship/receive firearms.

I called them. My initial questions were rebuffed with, "You have to import your firearms, you can't just ship them here and pick them up." Now, when I originally crossed the border with nearly all of my worldly goods in a U-Haul, I had to declare and import everything. The last page of my import documentation included "goods to follow" -- items that I would be crossing the border with later, but for which I paid import taxes at that time. Since I knew I had to get properly licensed in Canada first, I listed my firearms as goods to follow. At this point, all I need is some place that I can have my firearms shipped to where I can pick them up, take my import documentation and the firearms to the border crossing, have the other proper documentation required by Canada to legally transport the firearms, cross the border, and I'm done.

I never expected this process to be such a hassle. And it says something about the US government that no one knows the right answer to these questions -- most especially the ATF, which should be the end-all, be-all of information about firearms. It shouldn't take me over a year to get this information, and half the time it has been accidental that I have found something out and been able to move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment