Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

December 21, 2011

Bell Mobility Being Tricky Again

My wife and have followed through on our plan to replace her old, pink, flip-style phone with a newer smartphone. We are also transitioning this phone to be primarily my phone and she will continue using her Blackberry as her main phone (which is what she uses 90% of the time anyway).

We got the phone on Monday, and I've been slowly setting things up and configuring it to work with our home network, etc. I noticed yesterday and asked my wife today about the fact that, although we had no data plan for the phone and I had turned off the wi-fi connection, I was still receiving data information. In particular, it was updating with new emails and notifying me of them, even though it shouldn't get that data.

This concerned me enough that I called Bell Mobility's customer support and spoke with a nice, well-spoken woman about the situation. She informed me that, unbeknownst to us, we were given a "free" week of data and that data connection was turned on in the phone so we could see what it was like. At the end of that week, the free trial would be over and... the connection on the phone that allows data would be left turned on and each piece of data sent or received would then be charged at the exorbitant rates for those without a data plan! I told her I wanted to turn all of that off.

"But why would you want to turn off that data connection now? You have a week for free! You could set up a reminder," she cajoled.

"Yes, but I'll tell you what will happen. I'll forget to set up the reminder, or I'll turn it off and forget to reset that data connection option, and every little thing will be charged to our next bill and we'll have an outrageously high cell phone bill. No thank you. You can show me where that is now, I'll turn it off, and I'll simply use the free wi-fi connection available through our house if I need data on the phone," I said.

To her credit, she understood my reasoning and did walk me through it, so it is now off.

Now, let's extrapolate what might have happened had I not noticed that: It is $.15 a Megabyte for data and, since I'm in the "learning to use and setting up phase" of the phone, I'm likely to be downloading many new applications and trying them out. I'm setting up and learning to use the Instant Messaging and Emailing capabilities on the phone, etc. That next bill after the first week of "free" use may have been astronomically high due to all of that fiddling. And me telling them "But I got a plan with no data! Why did you allow me to send and receive data when specifically got a plan without data?" would be no excuse and I would have to pay that bill.

Let's extrapolate further to the new grandmother who was convinced by her grandchildren to get a new smartphone for free so that they could more easily keep in touch with her. She lives on a fixed income and doesn't understand any of this, but goes along to stay in touch with the family. How big is her first bill, as she video conferences with her family at holidays, sends and receives pictures from them, and doesn't think about how fast that $.15 adds up, or doesn't think it will add up because she chose a plan without data, and she doesn't understand the technology, so assumes that all of this is not "data," or why would she be able to use those features? Do you think Bell is going to be any more sympathetic to her plight?

It is just these items and features that corporations need to tell people about, but are exactly the ones that they do not, because those extra fees that people incur by not knowing help keep the business going. I find it despicable.

2 comments:

  1. Bell Mobility and I had a set to the past 2 weeks. While in Hfx, I called to get a change of plan that would incorporate long distance and data plan while in the hospital so that I wouldn't have a horrific bill at the end of the time there. The lady I spoke to was VERY helpful and understanding as she has a boyfriend in kidney failure.

    2 weeks ago, my dad dropped their cell phone in water in his worry over us he never went anywhere or did anything (including the dishes) without the phone. The difficulty is that phone is on my plan and in my name so they couldn't just go and get another one, even though it was due for an upgrade.

    So, when I came home, we went to the main Bell proprietor in our area and got them a new basic phone (they can barely figure out how to answer the damn thing let alone get voicemail! They never use the text or web) and lo and behold, the lady who was so helpful on the phone who set up the account and the 10 phone numbers I could call for free had screwed up royally and instead of putting the smart phone plan on the only smart phone on the system (Mine), she put it on mom & dads phone (basic phone)! So, I had to call bell mobility from the store to authorize them to change the plan back to the correct phone. In doing so, I lost all the numbers that had been input in to the system for free long distance calling AND the backdating that the girl had originally done to cover my entire time in Hfx since I was a few days calling after arriving! PLUS the lady I spoke to from Bell was snotty and difficult to deal with, essentially blaming ME for not planning ahead better and changing over the phone at a more logical time of day (apparently, the only let stupid people work on the overnight shift, or so she alluded to). It was very frustrating and very stressful to try to deal with their stupidity and SB in the middle of a Christmas shoppers filled store!

    Needless to say, I was POed! But, I didn't have the time or the inclination at that point to call Bell when I got home to complain and/or take care of the situation fully. (con't...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead, I forgot about it essentially until a week later (last week) when I checked my bill online and it was ASTRONOMICAL!! So, I got on the phone, got through to a lovely fellow named Ben. I explained the original phone call, the resulting phone call at the store, the checking of the bill and the subsequent phone call to him asking what can be done about this error.

    He looked at all the notes from the original call and luckily for me, she noted the correct phone # it was supposed to be put on in her notes, but she obviously put it on the wrong phone. He read the woman's notes with whom I spoke from the store and saw where she had made the correction to the proper phone, but that she had not made any other corrections, which he agreed was very careless of her. He also informed me that he did not have the authority to remove the charges because they were SO high, but that he would speak to his supervisor about the situation. I expected him to tell me he'd call me back, but instead he put me on hold, spoke to his supervisor and withing 10 minutes was back on the phone with me telling me that he had been granted authority to reverse all charges of long distance and data from Nov. 15th through to Dec 15th since it was obvious the numbers I was repeatedly calling and the data usage correlated with my explanation and the original operator's notes. He apologized that it would take some time as he had to go in to the system and reverse all charges by hand. I told him I didn't care how long it took so long as he did it and did it right. He chatted with me as he did his work and he was a breath of fresh air to deal with. He apologized to me for the upset and hoped that it didn't affect my business dealings with them and that he was sorry for the extra stress at such a stressful time unnecessarily. He also gave me a data credit for December for my troubles and the fact that it was 3rd call. In all, I ended up with an $80 credit going in to the next billing cycle. I took it with thanks and was all too glad to have gotten BEN!!

    Hope you get as much satisfaction from them as I finally did!! Good for you on being on top of that and noticing. I certainly wouldn't have!

    ReplyDelete