Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

July 29, 2010

Google Calendar

My wife and I use Google Calendar to coordinate our events and activities with one another. It started primarily when I was on one coast and she was on the other, as it was a simple calendar option that we could both access at all times and use to see what the other was doing or had planned.

One thing that I haven't seen on any electronic calendar, but that I would love to see incorporated into Google Calendars, is a "diary" function. Let's face it, most of use write things into calendar entries that are not activities or things to do lists. We often will put a quick summation of something wonderful that happened, or mundane things like the reps and sets we did for our workout that day, or the mileage on our walk/run, or even a quick note to our loved ones. Yet most electronic calendars assume we only use them for meetings, lists, and events/activities.

I see it working like this:

Right now, when you click on the day, you get the option of entering a task or event for a specific time. I'd like to see a window display asking if I want to enter an activity or make a diary entry. If I select Activity (or some other generic word for event, task, etc.), the Google Calendar works exactly as it does now, allowing me to give the event a title and change where it is, the time of the event, etc. However, if I select Diary (or similar word, like Notes), then a page displays with today's full date at the top and a "lined" page. This page is, in essence, an RTF Word Document file, or similar, into which I can enter anything I like, using standard RTF formatting (or html formatting) for bold, underlined, bullets, lists, etc. When I'm done and I save the diary entry, the page closes and a diary entry appears at the bottom of the calendar's day box for that day. Now, the day's box shows me any events on my calendar and shows me there is a diary entry, which I can reopen and add to whenever I want.

I have health concerns. I like to keep track of them, when they happen, and report them to my doctor during my visits. Using a diary function on the calendar would be a simple, easy way to accommodate this need. Plus, the Google Calendar is search-able, so I could find all instances of this between the last visit and the current one. Or, when I do exercise, it would be nice to put the reps, time, weights, etc. involved for that day. Or those who keep a food journal -- how easy would it be to simply type it into the calendar where you can track it day-to-day?

With the way I see the majority of people use their paper calendars, it surprises me that someone hasn't thought to do this already. With Google's desire to connect everything we do, it is doubly surprising that their calendar does not have this feature. If you know of an online calendar that has this feature, feel free to Comment and point it out to me.

1 comment:

  1. I am just starting to use the google calendar and I agree that there are times when I type more than I should because I want to remember specific issues. You make a great point! I think you should go work your magical persuasion powers on the powers that be at Google! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete