Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

May 21, 2009

Going to Get a Rep

I had an appointment today with a dermatologist to see about some skin issues I’ve been experiencing. Nothing too big or bad, just want each checked to make sure it is, as I suspect, nothing and maybe have a few troublesome moles removed from places that get irritated easily (like my neck).

My appointment was at 2:30 pm, so I got there about 2:20 pm. Good thing, too, because the location was inside a store, which was not readily apparent. I walked the entire length of the little outdoor mall twice before realizing where it was. They need much better external signage.

I filled out the paperwork, which took about 3 minutes, and then waited about 15 before being called back. So, let’s call it 2:50 pm before I am called into the back room. I am told to strip to my underwear and “the doctor will be with you shortly.”

At 3:30 pm, cold and irritated, I put my clothes back on and left. I stopped at the receptionist and in a not-impolite voice said, “Please tell the doctor I’ve left.”

She said, “Has the doctor seen you?”

To which I replied, “No. I gave him an hour and ….” I shrugged my shoulders.

I turned to leave and she said she would forward my referral back to my primary care physician. After she said that, the second receptionist added insult to injury by sarcastically saying, “Have a nice day!”

I have always found that if you accept unprofessional behavior, you get unprofessional behavior. We had an agreement that I would be seen at or around 2:30 pm today. Now, I grant that doctors get busy, emergencies occur, and time gets away from them. However, to keep a person waiting in a cold room in their underwear for approximately 40 minutes is uncalled for. Then, to add to the wonderful first impression the doctor provided with being so late, the second receptionist acts in an equally unprofessional behavior.

I’ve gotten used to the rampant Canadian behavior of apologizing for a bad job or poor service rather than just providing adequate (or better) performance. Luckily, I don’t feel any of my new friends or family here fall into that category (they complain about it as much as I do) – but it is a shame that so many get away with doing the least possible without reprimands or termination.

However, this doctor and his office staff were, to me and how I was raised, something worse. To me, this was the height of arrogance, disrespect, and rudeness.

I was raised that if you make an agreement, you honor it (or have a really good reason – note, not an excuse, a reason, why you couldn’t). A “date” (professional or personal) is one such agreement. We contracted to each set aside this time to meet professionally. He didn’t live up to that agreement, actually missing it by a long shot. His staff then followed that up by being unconscionably rude.

First impressions are important. This doctor and his staff have, in my mind and to my upbringing, proven themselves unprofessional in the extreme. I will tell anybody I know not to go to him.

2 comments:

  1. Write a brief professional letter to the doctor and explain why you departed without being seen and the reaction of the staff to your decision.

    It is ALWAYS up to the patient whether to wait or leave as we are not prisoners once we sign in at the front desk. A half hour is acceptable; longer is not, especially when you are confined to the examining room and undressed.

    Write CONFIDENTIAL on the envelope so it goes (theoretically) to the doctor, not person who opens the mail.

    You don't need to be snarky, and I know you aren't, but the doctor should be made aware that you have other items on your agenda, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:35 PM

    Good luck getting another referral. Welcome to socialized health care.

    ReplyDelete