Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

May 8, 2009

Fire, Fire Burning Bright

It is not looking good for my Uncle's house (formerly my grandmother's house) in Santa Barbara. Got word from my mother that the fire was burning on the two streets on which the house was built.

This is sad for a number of reasons:
  • It is the only home my Uncle has known, and he has a large family and it will take time to rebuild.
  • That house was one of the original built on that hill over 60 years ago, before it became a posh place to live. It had a view of pretty much all of Santa Barbara, the main city beach, the channel, and on a clear day, the channel islands. We actually once saw a pod of whales swimming down the channel from the deck of the house (they were tiny from that distance, but we still could make them out).
  • I have many fond memories of summer and Christmas visits to that house.
  • I've always like Santa Barbara.
  • The Mission and Botanical Gardens are both just down the hill from that house; they may be threatened or destroyed.
Luckily, my Uncle and his family evacuated early and took what they could with them, so they are safe. I should learn soon whether his house was burned, destroyed, or saved... hopefully today or tomorrow.

The one good thing that may come from it is that, upon rebuilding, my Uncle and his family may choose to paint the house something other than the garish, bright pink it always was before!

---
Update: Just got word from mom that my Uncle's house is okay, as of right now. He's trying to drive his work-truck and some stuff out of the area, as the fire could come back at any time. Law enforcement was pissed at him for showing up, and may not allow him to do so, but if I know my Uncle, he'll do it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment