Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

April 30, 2008

Cooking Question

Now, I'm fairly certain I've never done this, so this is truly just a hypothetical question. I don't want anyone casting aspersions my way thinking I'm asking about something I've done. ;-)

First, the set up:

Let's say you have four chicken breasts that are on the far side of safe to prepare and need to be cooked now. Let's say you grill or broil them, but you don't use enough heat or time and the four breasts are undercooked. Since they were so late in the "use by" date, let's further say that two of the four are far enough gone and undercooked enough that you would get food poisoning eating them.

Second, the situation:

You finish cooking the four breasts, eat one of them for your dinner, and you luck out that you don't get sick (this breast is not spoiled, but it is undercooked). That gives you a false sense of security that you did a good enough job cooking the chicken that you wrap up the remainder and put it in the fridge. Since you didn't have problems from the first one, you have no idea the others are time-bombs waiting to go off.

Third, the question:

Next day you grab one of the undercooked and turned breasts and put it into the microwave to reheat. My question-- if you cook it long enough and get it hot enough on the reheat will that make the breast "safe" to eat? It is my understanding that the majority of food poisoning occurs because of bacteria and other things that can be killed in hot enough temperatures. Hence the reason why you are supposed to cook to minimum internal temperatures. So, wouldn't the microwave reach those temperatures, kill or destroy the bacteria and other issues, and bring the undercooked food up to a safe-to-eat level? Or is meat "bad" always once it goes "bad?"

Conclusion:

My feeling is that this circumstance would mitigate the situation and the meat would be okay. I am only basing this conclusion on my limited understand of how food poisoning works and what is required to destroy the organisms that cause food poisoning. However, maybe there is more to food poisoning than I am aware. Maybe the end result is somehow different than the starting factors, so the second cooking would not mitigate the effects of the spoiled food. Maybe the organisms work harder after being heated and the refrigerated meat gets so much worse over the next 24 hours or so that no amount of microwaving or other reheating can kill or impede the spoilage.

What is your informed opinion?

3 comments:

  1. If you were lucky enough not to get sick the first time, I wouldn't push it. I've had food poisoning several times, and it's the nastiest nausea! Perhaps one of the reasons I don't like chicken breast is I've been sickened by chicken at least twice, mostly because the thickness of the meat doesn't allow it to cook fully--and even with good storage, it spoils.

    Once it's spoiled, toss it out!

    Remember that botulism can grow in a sealed container that is then opened and heated, as in homemade Italian sauces used is spaghetti and lasagne. Lots of people get VERY sick from eating these kinds of sauses used in casserole dishes served at big family gatherings, and some die.

    Thus, I'd toss the chicken. It isn't worth getting sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I agree with what you are saying, this exercise says you don't know the food is spoiled or undercooked-- and you are lucky enough not to get sick the first time you eat it.

    Thus, do you think it becomes "safe" on the recook/reheat? Or are you destined to get sick? Sounds from your response like the answer is no if the source of the poisoning is botulism; does that change if it is something else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 day rule for me. 2 days uncooked and then 2 days after cooked (with reheating a required part of this). J however will eat anything even a week later. lol It's scary really! But he's probably the healthiest person I know. However, given that you have health crap and your meds suppress your immunity I would err on the side of caution leaning closer to my 2 day rule - which btw is recommended by WHO.

    ReplyDelete