Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

February 16, 2005

PDFs of Existing Printed Work

Wizards of the Coast, the current publishers of the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game system, have started to release their books in PDF for sale. These books, which cost $29.95 for the largest (the Player’s Handbook) to the smallest (any of the new “splat” books), are being sold in PDF for the exact same costs.

The publishing industry has for years claimed the main reason the price of books has gone up is because the rising cost of paper, printing, binding, and publishing. If this is true, then why would a PDF of an already published work cost the exact same amount? In a PDF you don’t have the same advertising costs and there are NO paper, binding, or publishing costs. These are not new works, but ones that have been publish for at least 2-3 years each.

There are inherent differences between an electronic book and a printed book. For example, you can only use an electronic book online or you must incur the cost of printing and binding the book yourself (and considering the cost of the ink you use in your printer, that’s no small investment). Also, most companies that sell you a PDF or other format electronic book do so in some sort of proprietary way. Which means you can only use that book on your PC or only with a specific type of reader for which you often have to pay or at least register. On top of this, you are relying on the expertise of the person making the PDF to ensure you get a PDF that is searchable, printable, and correctly formatted for the electronic media. Trust me, I know. As a technical writer for a software company, much of my time is spent ensuring the source material will work in both a printed and electronic format and a lot of effort goes into that process.

With a printed book, you own it. It’s yours. You can write notes in the margins, you can put bookmarks to important sections, you can lend it to friends, and you can read it even when you’re on vacation and without your PC if you so choose, and you can roll your dice on it if you are short of hard, flat surfaces in your gaming environment. You don’t have to worry about formats, media drive compatibility, or if your friend’s PC has all the correct rights/permissions before loading it up to check something during your gaming session.

I understand Wizards of the Coast wanting to push their products into markets they haven’t yet reached. I respect and applaud their desire to make the item available in a less bulky format. However, if they want my spending dollar, they must price these PDFs accordingly. I might pay as much as $10 to have a copy of those books I refuse to pay $29.95 for and accept the limitations of the format. I wouldn’t even hesitate to finish my collection of their intellectual work if the PDFs cost $7.50 or less. But I will not pay the full retail price for an electronic copy of the material (and all the problems and limitations these create).

Instead, I’ll just ask my friends if I can borrow their printed copy.

2 comments:

  1. This is a real shame. In a sense they are trying to do the right thing, but by using such an outrageous pricing scheme they make it unusable. Another aspect to consider is that many people already own the hard copy and simply want the convenience of having a soft copy as well. I know that's my situation.
    I'm not advocating illegal activity but skipping the DRM would be a trivial task in this kind of case. I suspect that their pricing scheme will lead to groups of people going in on a single purchase and then sharing the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read a very interesting Blog at http://jmc-omniverse.blogspot.com/2005/02/pdfs-of-existing-printed-work.html
    on Wizards of the Coast selling online work for the same price as PDFs on their website.

    I agree wholeheartedly with his conclusions. Bookstore trips recently have been a bummer because I refuse to pay $7.99 or more for one of the skimpy scifi or fantasy paperbacks. Paperbacks. I swear that I would buy more books if the price were less. I can't justify the price. And to find out that these books from Wizards are offering their stuff for the same price in both print and electronic format is just disturbing to an unfathomable level. Just how the hell do you use a 300 page PDF file easily?

    I have tried getting books off of Gutenberg.net--the classics. But I just can't read it online. I've tried. And printing it would cost me probably an inkjet cartridge and a ream of paper.

    Shouldn't PDFs, which are completely unalterable, be super cheap? It must be an issue where they know several mates will be giving it to each other free of charge on a homemade cd-rom. They want to get their money for one copy, at least. Is that it, Wizards?

    ReplyDelete