Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

January 26, 2005

Personality Types

So I found and decided to take two different, but similar, online personality quizzes based on actual psychological tests.

On both of them, I came back as the "Rational/Architect" type and, specifically, INTP. I would have to guess that is very close to my actual personality results as both test came back with the identical results (even the percentages were in the same ranges for each personality descriptor).

What surprised me the most was how low the intuitive/perceptive scores came back. I have always lived my life based more on Wisdom and Experience than Intelligence or Book learning. That is the one area where my sister and I really differ; while both intelligent, thoughtful people, I was always the 'street smart' one and she was always the 'book smart' one.

But then I started thinking about it even more. For example, I always loved the sciences, all branches, but had trouble with the math. I always was strong in english, writing, comprehension, but was never good at new languages. I enjoy watching and evaluating people, breaking them down and figuring out how they tick-- as long as I don't really need to get to know them personally.

Now, people who know me are well aware of my introverted side. And it would be no surprise that I would score my highest percentage in that area. I work by myself, most of the fun activities I enjoy are solitary, and I don't like groups larger than my immediate friends or one-on-one encounters.

Very interesting new perspective on myself. And, here comes the Architect side of things, I'm wonder how I can use this information to invoke change (if change is needed)? These sites also didn't offer any suggestions as to which other personality types with which I would most get along.

To anyone who can offer suggestions: please do. It would be appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Introverted people often discover that they are introverted long after other people have observed it (even if they didn't necessarily know what they were observing). Introverts spend years trying to shoehorn their personality into the majority of the world which happens to be extroverted (~75%). We do this to gain acceptance as well as to the avoid the negative stigma that is associated with introvertion.

    The most common symptom that introverted people experience is extreme fatigue during or after a social event. This conditions them to avoid social activities because they feel so exhausted afterward. Speaking from personal experience, you can alleviate some of the negative symptoms by acknowledging your limitations and learning new ways to handle yourself.

    I highly recommend the book, "The Introvert Advantage". I don't remember who wrote it off the top of my head, but I'm sure you can find it. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete