Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

March 20, 2011

No Rest for the Wicked

It is funny how quickly the relaxation of a vacation can be sucked out of you. Normally when I go on vacation I try to schedule the next day off as a travel-recovery day before I have to do anything important (like work). This year, it simply did not work out that way.

We got home and I was in bed on Tuesday night (3/15) (well, really, as it was after midnight, Wednesday morning) by 1am with my alarm set for 7am. After four planes and 20 hours of travel, that 7am wake-up call came very early indeed!

I quickly realized my brain was not good for much, and I rescheduled my meeting to the next day and used that day to read through the emails and try to get back up to speed on where I was and what I was doing with the project, and what was needed.

Thursday I then had my two meetings, learning of the due dates that they continue to promise the end-user without consulting me and discovered that I did not have much time to hit any of the three upcoming deadlines. Then, on Friday, I only worked about half the day or a little more, as my usual "travel sickness" struck me and I was feeling sick (headache, sinuses, very upset stomach, slightly feverish -- happens after traveling nearly every time with my compromised immune system).

So, this week I have to work like a fiend to make the first deadline (Saturday-- not sure why they keep scheduling due dates when the end-user isn't in the office and no one, not even those in Israel, are supposed to be at work).

My shoulders, which were relaxed and pliable during our days in Florida, are back to being tense balls. My headache is back (not as bad as on Friday, but steady and ongoing regardless of aspirin or similar).

After the next three weeks or so, I'll feel like I need yet another vacation.

2 comments:

  1. This happens to me - I love what I call 'vacation mind' which is basically that I don't care so much about things. I try, every day I try, to remember to try this at work - At the end of the day, like our good friend Judith used to say, if something bad happens at work, at least no one dies... The only thing that can happen at work is that you lose the company money- (there is the attendant concern that you could be fired, but that aside) pretty much that is the worst that can happen...

    Hang in there and try to take a mental vacation on the weekend, when you can. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem is that I'm mostly working weekends, so I don't get that time off between.

    ReplyDelete