Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

February 19, 2010

Apologies

So, Tiger finally apologized today. I watched the entire thing, twice, and my opinion comes down to this: You seemed sincere, you took ownership of the problems/issues, but why did it take you 3 months to issue it?

And that is the crux of the matter for me. Had Tiger said this apology in December, when everything started to unravel after the Thanksgiving dust-up with the car accident and subsequent investigation, I would have agreed with him and been at least a little sympathetic and would have moved on. The fact that it took him this long to say what could have and should have been said within days of the first few women coming forward bothers me.

I still think Tiger is one of the most gifted golfers ever. I don't think this episode in his life affects my watching him play golf. But I don't trust him as a leader or a spokesperson any more, and that is where he makes the majority of his money.

Now, that being said, this is NONE OF OUR BUSINESS. This is a personal failing of his, and it is up to his wife and children to forgive and forget or not as they see fit. He has committed no crime. The most I can say is that he acted immorally, for which he apologized. Until I see/hear otherwise, I take his apology at his word and give him the right to move on and prove that he was sincere in that apology. I'm moving on and giving this no further thought.

2 comments:

  1. My reaction: I'm tired of younger people doing whatever they want and walking away with a "sorry" tossed over their shoulder. If you know it's wrong before you do it, don't do it. If you figure out it's wrong as you're doing it, stop. And if you don't get it until it's too late, an apology simply is not going to change the history of your actions.

    Deal with it privately and move on. Contrary to public opinion, public figures don't owe anyone either an apology or an explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:27 PM

    This is none of our business.

    But you watched it twice.

    You are a part of the problem.

    ReplyDelete