Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

November 9, 2009

Last Dance?

I grilled steaks last night. It took forever to cook them, as they were good, thick, Costco steaks and high quality. I actually thought they were done after 18 minutes of cooking (I even cut into one to check, something I try to avoid doing). However, they were not done cooking and I took them back out for another 6 minutes with the grill on high.

When I brought them back into the house this time, they were a nice medium... a bit of pink in the middle with a nice sear on the outside. And boy were they juicy and tender.

However, the sadness is that we are rapidly running out of grilling days. It is November now, and the temps are getting to or below freezing at night and the days aren't warming up much. The rains have started, and we've even seen some flurries and some light dustings on the ground once or twice.

It is nearly time to roll the grill into the shed for the winter. My wife is fighting it as long as she can, but even she knows the inevitable is just about here.

The good thing is that I am getting fairly good at broiling. I showed her we could have steaks during the winter and, while maybe not as good as the grill, they still can be pretty tasty and will suffice until the next spring when we can roll out the grill again.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I must disagree that grilling days are numbered for this year! There's nothing better than a grilled steak or chicken on a winter's night. I can't imagine putting the bbq away for the winter! It gets used all year round here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering if it would be possible to continue to use the grill if it were to be relocated under the deck -- less exposure to the elements -- or used in the garage with the door open?

    I agree with Cyn: there is no good time to stop grilling!!

    daiss

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw this comic strip in yesterday's paper I was reminded of your blog post:
    http://comics.com/arlo&janis/2009-11-09/

    ReplyDelete
  4. John doesn't want to go outside to grill in winter because it's damn cold. Can't say as I blame him.

    In the past, I left the grill outside and it just accumulated snow and rusted, even though it was covered and protected. We want to try and keep this grill in good shape, since it's only a few months old. Anywhere outside will be too snowy, even under the deck. Not enough room in the garage to house it. We'll be putting it in the shed, but wading through snow to get to it is more effort than we want to expend.

    Cyn has a decent arrangement because her balcony is somewhat covered, and there's only so much snow that can accumulate because it's not that big. Our deck is a giant snow holder. When the wind hits, it drifts and can cover most of the grill. I've had winters where it was almost buried.

    ReplyDelete