Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

April 6, 2005

Blogging

For the most part, blogs have atrocious spelling, poor grammar, and abysmal punctuation. Many more people blog than really have anything to say (I may fall into that category-- you be the judge). Although a technical writer in my career, I am frequently surprised and scared by the errors in my own posts (of course, in my career it is important to have someone review your work-- since you wrote it, you are frequently to close to it to catch every mistake. The same holds true for any writing, or course, except I don't have editors in my personal life).

I hear many people both scoff at, and be in a little awe of, those who blog. I've heard this said with both derision and surprise, "You blog?"

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that blogging gets people to do one of two things that have been on a steady decline in this country: read and/or write.

Every single blog you read is one more page of text you read. Every entry you write is one more page of text you wrote. Even if just recounting your day's activities in a journal, laughing at or vilifying those around you, or adding a few more entries to that great American novel, you are being creative and communicating with those in the world around you.

If your blog is the only way you can get what is inside you out, then blog on! It may be the cheapest form of therapy anyone can have.

Don't let the grammar and spelling errors that abound stop you from reading blogs, either. There are a lot of good opinions, interesting ideas, and earth shaking concepts out there in the world of blogs. Seek them out, comment on them, and form your own conclusions. Yes, sometimes you need a lot of patience to read that fusia and olive colored blog with blue lettering and the obligatory animation that takes forever to load and has an annoying looped soundbyte attached, but the person who made that blog may just have something important to say that will change your life.

I use my main blog space (and my mother hates it when I use this allusion) to metaphorically stand naked on the top of a mountain, flipping the world the Bird. It allows me to vent those frustrations and rampant ideas I have in a forum where I believe others will listen. I don't care if you agree, and I love reading your comments whether you agree or not, but that isn't the point-- I get it out of my head.

I also have two side blogs where I express more of my creative side (see sidebar for links to other blogs).

The important thing is, I get the word out there and I feel better, healthier, and more constructive about things afterward. As I stated earlier, it is very cheap therapy.

So, if you have something to say, I challenge you-- grab your virtual pen and join the fray!

No comments:

Post a Comment